Okay, so I know that I haven't been blogging for the longest period of my life - and most of the time I cheated (I changed the scheduled date of my post to backdate it), just so that it seems I'm still active. I really miss blogging, partly because this is a semi-private space that only a certain few people can still remember the link to it.
The topic that I want to rant about today is: TOXIC PEOPLE. Yes, you read it right. These are what I call pests that should just stick to their own cave. Why am I so angry with these pests? While those live encounters are not as bad, it's those keyboard warriors that should really go rot and die.
One day when scrolling in Facebook, I came across an interesting story which was shared by the admin of a page. I can't really remember the story well, but it was enough to grab my attention. And I thought that hey maybe this page has more interesting stories to share and I followed the page.
Weeks passed by, and one day I came across another story. It's about this single mother with a special child who is confused who she should be with. One was a drug addict, but cared very much about her and her child's well-being. And the other was a normal guy, but who cannot stand the special child and beats the child up.
The comments were ugly, disrespectful, and inhumane. Why? Come on, first of all - you guys should comment on the the situation if you really want to, but why do you have to stereotype people? Like I saw few people commenting things such as:
- Once an addict, always an addict. They will never change, you should not involve yourself with such person.
- Pemadat ni baru2 je sume kate2 indah. Nnti da dapat, ke lain. (Drug addicts are just sweet-talkers. Once they fully "get" you, they will change)
I am appalled. Even when I know that I'm no saint and not pious, I sighed "Astaghfirullah". Like immediately. I mean who are we to judge?? How can you be so sure that someone will never change just because you knew someone who was in that position before. The sadder thing is that majority of these comments came from the Malay-Muslim community.
Why it's disheartening? Because how can we, mere humans, forget that Hidayah itu milik Allah? The will to change is in their hearts. If they decide that they no longer wish to be who they used to be because of new found commitments, love, family, etc., then they can change. It's our sick society's mindset that has got to change. We should be more encouraging in order for them to believe in themselves. Why put them down when we can support them to become a better person?
The common stereotype is that 'people who have tattoos, drug addict/peddlers, have a sinful past are all scums of the earth' needs to be changed. Because like us, they are humans too. And like us, they are battling their inner demons. The only difference, they are courageous enough to show their true self to the world, while the rest of us are covering it all up cowardly.
Come on people, it's 2019. Don't you think it's time for a change? Oh and for the record, I un-followed the page after that post. Surround yourself with positive vibes, and remove toxins from your life. Food for thoughts. Until my next long rant.
Xox.
