In lieu of my cousin's wedding, every member of my family deided that we should actually attend the wedding as it's been a while since we've meet up - cousins located all the way in Kelantan and you know how hard and expensive it is for Malaysian's to get their passports issued.
We thought about flying there, and it was cheap when we checked like months in advance. But we can only book in the month of August itself, and the price rocketed sky-high. So no way. Train wasn't an option because we had to reach Kota Bharu by Friday, 24th August before 8am. Her solemnization is at 10am, so yeap. We were only left with bus option. It fits just nice, the bus departs from Larkin at 9pm on Thursday night, and we should be able to reach by Friday 6am.
Everyone wanted to take the night bus. but only six seats were left so my parents, the kids, and my aunt had to take the morning bus, leaving me and my sister taking the night bus.
23.08.2017
Met my sister at Woodlands Checkpoint and we headed to JB CIQ as usual. Her colleague fetched us from CIQ and sent us to Larkin, where we had our dinner. During dinner, her colleague told us of his experience as an express bus driver before he joined his current company. As 9pm approaches, we made our way to the bus stand. I remember he said Transnasional has a good track record. Always punctual, and safe. I brushed it off cause, well I didn't think much about it.
Bus came and I texted FS the bus number. I always have a habit of doing it, and my text will always be "(plate number), in case you heard something in the news". Told my sister I wanted to have the window seat cause I might be VC-ing halfway, and we argued for a while but she gave in to me. Boarded the bus, but it didn't leave on time. In fact, I was getting angsty while waiting for it to depart.
Texted my mom too, and they were already reaching by then so I told I'll call her once we arrive. The bus finally move off, and we had a sisterly bonding session for a while before we decided to have our own time. Plucked in my earpiece, said my prayers and I went to sleep. Road was bumpy, and I keep going in and out of sleep. It was a quarter into the journey, and my sister nudged me saying she pity the kid with no seat, and wanted to put the child on her lap. I agreed, thinking we could take turns and I pulled her onto my sister and went back to sleep.
24.08.2017
The road was bumpy and windy, but we made it to the halfway mark - a petrol station in Kuantan. Since the kid was still sleeping on my sister's lap, I went out alone. Went toilet, got drinks, and had a cigg. Board the bus again, and suddenly the aura seemed different. It was a different driver now. Checked the map and we're closing in, and should reach earlier than expected. Took a sip of water, plugged in my earpiece, and tried to brush off the weird feeling and went to sleep.
Suddenly, I felt the bus swerved and people starting screaming "Allahu Akhbar". I wanted to see what's going on but my eyes just wouldn't open. I tumbled, and suddenly I was submerged underwater. I felt someone pressing on my back, and knew it was my sister. Tried to push myself up few times, but I can't. In my head, the bus tumbled into a river or even an ocean, and there was no way out left for me. With that only breath (that I didn't take), I decided to just give in. I was ready to die.
Then what seemed ages later, I felt the water level dropping and I finally manage to gasp for air. I stood up, and the water was at my waist. People pushed me as I was getting up to exit the bus. I got angry, because there were children, but the adults thought of themselves. I had to shout for them to stop and let the kids go out first. I scrambled to get my bag, and my sister's. Looked everywhere for my phone, lost it.
Told my sister to leave the bus first and I'll follow thru, and we had to climb up the hill to get to the road. It was freezing. People were in tears and shivering, but there was no ambulance at site. Firetruck came maybe ten minutes later, before the ambulance and police came.
We're lucky my sister had her phone with her. Attempted to call my parents using the wet phone, and told them to meet us at the hospital. In the ambulance, my back hurt like fcuk. It was painful, too painful. There were cuts on my hands and feet, and my wrist was swollen. But the hospital didn't do much.
Will continue this soon... but meanwhile, here's the pictures of the bus wreckage.
Xox,
Copyright Bazilah Zainudin. Designed by BloggerTemplate
